Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Harvest Keeps Growing

The garden has gone crazy and I've been picking a lot of vegetables lately: green beans, purple green beans, sugar snap peas, cucumbers, zucchini, broccoli, pepperoncini, and for the first time on Tuesday- tomatoes!

So far we've tasted 3 of the 10 varieties that I planted and 4 more have almost ripe fruit on the vines! I've been practicing canning with the peppers and can't wait to try tomatoes. Once I have enough, I'll be going for it! There was a little carnage when the three times bigger than last year's tomatoes needed to be restaked, so I might try some pickled green tomatoes today.


Gardens gone wild!


Dill in bloom


Royal burgundy green beans.


Butternut squash


The zucchini are producing again after a few days rest.


Sugar snap peas are also putting out a second crop.


Marmande tomato just before I picked it.


Jaune flammée tomato- it's very orangey/yellow


Mr. Stripey tomato- not as stripey as I thought he'd be.


The harvest bowl before the second group of tomatoes and the green beans.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Those vegetables look very delicious. Hope I will be able to try some!

Chiot's Run said...

Don't you just love this time of year when you can walk out to the garden to rustle up some dinner. Everything looks fantastic!