Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I finished something else!

And it was not from my list of Spring projects and it didn't require hand sewing.

I made this from my leftover Valori Wells voile- there is still enough to make a teeny skirt for a teeny person!  I had not intended for there to be a crossover front, but I didn't have enough fabric to make the top above the empire waist out of one piece.  I think that the crossover worked out well, though, so I'm happy.  The fabric has some stretch even though it's a woven and I chose not to use a zipper, so it's a little tight to get on and off!  Any looser and it would have hung off my back funny, so that was the trade-off.  My plan is to find some ribbon or to make a ribbon from the fabric for the tie at the neck.  White doesn't quite go.  I also plan to add some clear seed beads to make this top a little dressier.  You can see from the side view that the back hangs down a little- but not nearly as much as it did at first.


I don't plan to wear this top with work trousers, but that's what I was wearing at the time.



Janda and I were so busy with mad lots of yardwork over vacation that I didn't get anywhere on my other projects.  Hopefully soon...  I have a birthday party this weekend and I'd like to wear one of those dresses!


Monday, April 16, 2012

I finally finished something!

I have sewn up 90% of 4 of the summer dresses on my Spring/Summer Sewing list and now all that remains is either annoying or hand sewing. Not surprisingly, as soon as each of them was 90% done, they went onto the 90% done wall to wait for me to be in the mood to hand sew or do something else annoying. Since that was getting discouraging, I decided to make a quick skirt.


Please ignore the squinting and bedhead

I have a few patterned fabrics that I have been stewing over, b/c I didn't want to make a skirt or dress that had a lot of seams. In the end, I decided to make a elastic waist, knee-length skirt. One casing, one seam and one hem. Easy peasy. A half an hour later I had a finished garment. I couldn't wear it today, even though the weather was amazing, b/c Janda and I went out on our motorcycles. Not conducive to skirts. Hopefully I'll get to wear it this week.

I was a little nervous, b/c I had never attempted an elastic waist skirt before and I was cutting into some of my precious and expensive Valori Wells voile. I figured that it would work out b/c I made my niece Emma a romper last week that used elastic extensively. I just took my hip measurement, added 4", cut a rectangle and sewed a few seams. I ordered some more patterned fabric from fabric.com this weekend, so I think that I'll be making more of these.


Emma's romper

Hopefully this week I'll decide to get some of those other projects done!