Pages

Monday, January 14, 2019

5 Years + 2 Months! (May 2018)

Ryder is still fully in the British phase, and by British phase, I of course mean Redcoats.  He has all the accoutrements to dress up as a Revolutionary era redcoat and does so often.  He has even gotten the other neighborhood kids into playing British with him.  All he wants to watch are clips of battles from movies about the Revolutionary War, the Liberty's Kids' episodes about the major battles and songs of the British Empire.  I realized after a while that we had been listening to God Save the Queen on repeat!  It is a quite cute obsession and I'm impressed by the level of knowledge that he has about the events of the Revolutionary War at this moment.  All in all, not a bad obsession to have!

We had the first beach day of the year this month.  It was not a "go swimming" beach day, but Ryder definitely was wading around pretty deep.  Much deeper than I would want to go.  After a long Winter of not being able to go to the beach, even this small taste of Summer was more than enough to get the kids excited!

At school there was a Mother's Day breakfast, which I happened to be able to go to because of my prep period.  It was very sweet!  The kids helped make muffins all week and then that morning, they served the muffins and juice to their mothers.  I felt very lucky to be able to attend!  It was nice to see the kids in their own environment at school.

Ryder also had his Kindergarten orientation this month, which I was also able to attend by moving a prep block.  When it was time to go to the classroom for screening, Ryder wanted me to walk him there.  The closer we got to the classroom, the more upset he got, but I explained to him that I would be waiting for him and he went in, albeit upset.  After the screening was done, Ryder and I had to jet out of there so I could make it to school in time.  On the ride home he told me that, among other things, he counted so high that the teacher who screened him told him that there were some 1st graders who couldn't count that high.  That made him feel very good.  It made me feel good that he was able to compose himself after being upset and get right into the swing of things in the classroom!

An early beach day!

Admiring his cake

Oh yes, he likes it

He wanted us to buy him something at the store ;)

No comments: